Monday, June 6, 2011

When the frost is finally out of the ground, there is a flurry of activity around the gardens in Minnesota.  When I first moved here and started my own gardens, I had this vision of an English country garden, or closer to home my mother in laws garden, with perfect rows and raised beds, and no weeds!  But I learned early on that the forest will keep taking over, and there was good reason to embrace the "weeds"
For one thing I did not  want to use any chemicals , herbicides, fertilizers on my gardens, vegetable or flowers.  Our land was  wild when we moved here, and I wanted to be a good guest.  The weeds were here before we were, and as I have learned over the years, each one has it's own purpose.
This pink and purple area is made up of iris in the back, chives in the middle, and a petunia basket in the foreground.
  So today I have pictures of my co existing front garden that also provides some herbs for my kitchen.   I used to use a purple only theme, because by August every thing will be covered with Grandpa Ott purple morning glories.  But there are so many beautiful colors out there that I have added a full spectrum this year.

the wild columbine are out now



Filling in is the greenery of dandelions and plantain. both are beneficial plants.      
Well I am off to use my new eco friendly lawn mowing program. I will have pictures soon!



1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm, eco-friendly lawn mowing program, did you get some sheep?

    ReplyDelete